May 30, 2008

Apply, Apply, PUC time

PUC - Means the Pre-University Course in India. This is the 2 year pre-university course which is pursued in the college after the 10th grade. PUC is the stepping stone to pursue bachelor education in arts, commerce, science, engineering, medicine and other fields.

PUC education is taken very seriously by academically inclined students and their families as it shapes their career path.There is lot of competition in getting in to famous colleges in Bangalore. Some of the famous colleges include MES College, National College, Vijaya College, St.Joseph's college, Mahavir Jain College, Mount Carmel, others. The marks secured in the tenth grade is the main selection criteria in most colleges. Students usually play safe by applying in more than 3-4 or even 5 colleges just to make sure they have a fair chance in the competition.

This reminds my college admission at St.Joseph's College of Arts & Science, the only college at that time which conducted the entrance exam for selecting the students. When the results were published, my 2 close friends had passed the test and decided to join the college. I did not make it and focused on other colleges. During this time, some how I remembered St.Joseph's had a practice of filling the unclaimed seats in the order of merit. I immediately pedaled my way to the college which is about 6 miles from my house. On enquiry at the office counter, I was asked to meet the vice-principal Father Ambrose Pinto. I was not very confident of speaking directly to a vice-principal of a well known college. I stood in the queue and when my turn came, he asked for my roll number and name. He checked in the document in front of him, smiled and wrote a note on a pre-printed form and gave to me. I did not understand asked what is it. He coolly told me I have been offered a seat and asked to come on the date mentioned in the form and complete joining formalities. I thanked him, walked out and was thrilled!. I quickly pedaled my way back, not forgetting to stop at MICO Bosch Factory, Adugodi - where my dad worked. I called him from the factory gate, he was extremely happy and did not believe the news at first. We both went to the college again to get the final confirmation. What followed was very interesting - Me and my 2 close friends ended up in the same section and had a great time for the next 2 years.

Getting application form from St.Joseph's college was also a memorable experience. I and my cousin went by bus and alighted at SBI bus stop. Only mistake I made was to walk in the opposite direction of the college!. After 20 mins of walking, we reached the Queen's Statue, Cubbon Park. My cousin, who was still very young (may be in 4th grade) soon realized the mistake and he also recognized cubbon park. Since he was new to Bangalore, I tried to convince him we are on the right track but he knew the truth. We found our way back via MGRoad, Brigade Road and Residency Road!. I felt really sorry for walking him for such a long walk. Back home, I was taken to task for taking a small kid out for a long walk!. I and my cousin would later recollect this story number of times and laugh at ourselves!.

2 comments:

Mahesh B said...

10th (SSLC) and 12th (PUC) are always considered a significant mile stone even today. Today at least the education system and the job opportunities have created a lot many courses that one can even if he is SSLC fail. During our days it would be end of once student life if he fails to get though the 10th or 12th Class. Many of my friends including my brother turned into Auto Riksha Drivers / Sales assistance / helpers etc to full feel there personal and family needs.

Another aspect during this stage in life is that one slowly moves out of their comfort zones mostly dominated by parents. Till then one’s schools and friends are limited to the locality where he is residing. One they get into college they make friends and oppositions from different corners of the city and stretch out to claim themselves as the true Bangalorians ( I believe it’s the same for Mumbai and Hyderabad folks)

Satish said...

That's true Mahesh. BPO/Courier/Taxi Operators - These are just few of the mega opportunities that are now available for people who for some reason cannot continue eduction. Made me recollect the funny anecdote shared by Ex.Police Comm of Bangalore...details in the new post